Cocullo, province of Aquila is a sleepy medieval town around a 50 Minute drive from Abruzzo Villas with a population of a few hundred people but every first Thursday in May, Cocullo comes alive with thousands of tourists to attend one of Italy’s strangest festivals and procession in honor of Cocullo’s patron Saint Domenico di Sora.
Cocullo Snake Festival
A statue of Saint Domenico di Sora is draped with live snakes and transported through a procession and later the snakes released back in the wild. The belief is that the patron saint made snakes from farmers fields disappear and in a symbolic gesture of respect, every year since 1392 the locals have been parading his statue ever since.The procession is joined by priests and girls in local costumes bearing “ciambelli” which are traditional sweetmeats specially prepared for the festival. This unusual procession is clearly of pagan origin and recalls the very ancient cult of reptiles. and goes back to a ritual in hour of the Goddess Angizia, a divinity of the Marsi, celebrated in the spring for its thaumaturgical power of curing the bites of poisonous snakes.
The XIII c. church of the Madonna delle Grazie has an elegant XIV c. facade with a pointed portal and two small pilasters surmounted by XVI c. niches and a small rosette and some frescoes inside. The santuario di San Domenico contains three silver processional crosses dating from the XV c.
The patron saint is also said to not only have the power to guard against snake bites but also cure tooth aches and in the main church the last video shows people lining up to ring a small mounted bell with a chain using their teeth in the belief that that their teeth will be protected from tooth aces!
A last minute Pescara deal in a Hotel or B&B are now becoming more expensive due to Pescara fast becoming an Italian destination for the tourist market. And with the ever increasing international and national airlines routes into Pescara, hotels and bed and breakfasts are deliberately increasing their prices.
However for the same price of a last minute Pescara Hotel or Bed & Breakfast rate you can stay in a very spacious Villa
The villa is less than a 10 minute drive to Pescara’s beaches, and Pescara’s main shopping district, exciting nightlife and.
Last minute Pescara – Price comparisons
Prices for a last minute Pescara offer starts can start from 60 to 100 Euros per night per person but an entire modern large Villa with 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms a fully equipped kitchen and large living room, a terrace with killer views start at 175 Euro per night
Last minute Pescara – Surrounding Area
Last minute Pescara deals are now even better - book your stay in a Villa and you will located next to everything you may need for either a relaxing or active experience.
- Close to Pescara city centre
- Short drive to the beach
- Close to the mountains where you can ski in winter and enjoy nature in the summer
- Pescara airport is also close by
- Rome is around a 2 hour drive or bus ride away
Last minute Pescara – What is included
Book your stay in a villa and enjoy the following benefits that a last minute Pescara in a Hotel or B&B may not offer you:
- Prices for an entire villa starting at Euro 175 per night
- Complimentary WiFi internet
- Complimentary telephone calls to Pescara landlines
- 4 bedrooms each with en-suite bathrooms
- Beautiful views of Pescara’s beach and mountainside
- Complimentary library of around 70 DVDs to keep you entertained
- Privacy and space – 500 Sqm (5381 sqft)
- Amenities – Dishwasher and Washing machine
- Complimentary car parking
Is it worth paying for a last minute Abruzzo deal in a Hotel or B&B when you can stay in a very spacious Abruzzo Villa for less? Located with only a short drive to Abruzzo’s Adriatic beaches, Pescara’s elegant shopping areas, thrilling nightlife and restaurants where you can dine and enjoy Abruzzo cuisine, you can stay in a Villa at a lower price than a B&B or Hotel.
Last minute Abruzzo – Cost comparisons
Staying in a small room in a B&B or a Hotel in Abruzzo can start at 50 to 90 Euros per night per person however you could rent an entire very spacious 4 bedroom Villa all with en-suite bathrooms starting at Euro 175 per night that you can enjoy and share with friends or family.
Last minute Abruzzo – What’s close by
If you book your stay in the Villa you will also be ideally located:
- 10 minute drive to Pescara city centre with its elegant shops, cafes and vibrant night life
- 10 minute drive to the beach
- 45 minute drive to the mountains where you can ski in winter and enjoy nature in the summer
- 10 minute drive from Pescara airport
- 10 minute drive from Pescara train station and main bus station
- Rome is only around a 2 hour drive or bus ride away
Last minute Abruzzo – What you get
If you book your stay in this villa will a last minute Abruzzo Hotel or a B&B deal in Pescara offer you these benefits?
- Rates for the entire 4 bedroom villa starting at Euro 175 per night
- 4 Air Conditioned bedrooms each with private en-suite bathrooms
- Free WiFi internet
- Free telephone calls to Pescara landlines
- Amazing Abruzzo views
- Flat screen TV with complimentary library of around 70 DVDs to keep you entertained
- 500 Sqm (5381 sqft) of living space
- Washing machine
- Fully equipped modern kitchen with washing machine in separate room
- Additional WC near the dining room
- Ample car parking
- Utmost privacy and tranquility: You will be surrounded by 50,000 Sqm (538195) of private land where abundant organic fruit and olive trees grow yet you are also close by to restaurants, supermarkets, beaches, shopping and night life.
- Meals “al fresco”: The outside terrace provides a large space to experience your meals while enjoying the stunning panoramic views and fresh air
- Rooms with a view: The large dining room overlooks wonderful views of the Adriatic Coast, mountains, countryside and city
- Sunlight and fresh interior – The Villa has high ceilings, yet is inviting and cozy and full of natural light
- High chair
- Central heating
- Iron/Ironing board